POSITION TITLE: ADDICTIONS COUNSELLOR - FULL TIME
REPORTING TO: DIRECTOR
This is a full time position in an addiction outpatient treatment agency in Victoria, BC, the core functions of which include Intensive Outpatient Treatment, case management and 1:1, family and group counselling for people with a variety of addictions, other behavioural health challenges and mental health conditions.
The candidate will provides screening, assessment, referral, case management, recovery management and counselling services to individuals affected by addiction and co-occurring disorders as well as facilitating psycho-educational presentations and therapy groups. This position requires some evening group facilitation work. The appropriate candidate will work closely with a small team of professionals and have excellent communication skills. There will be an opportunities for ongoing professional development. Candidate will need a recent criminal records check.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
• Conduct screenings and assessments, determine appropriate level of care, develop treatment plans and make referrals to programs or external services and resources as required.
• Develop and implement treatment plans using sound therapeutic counselling techniques.
• Provide a range of counselling and education services including to individuals, groups and families.
• Provide on-going evaluation of client’s progress, revise treatment plans as required and provide follow-up planning.
• Deal effectively with addictive patterns of behaviour, concurrent disorders and other mental health behavioural and emotional concerns such as abuse, violence, grief and loss.
• Coordinate and/or participate in in program planning activities.
• Assist with the planning and implementation of program enhancements.
• Accommodate referrals and admissions into the IOP and aftercare programs.
• Manage a caseload of clients with a variety of behavioural health and addiction-related problems.
• Provide psycho-educational presentations as per IOP program modules.
• Provide education and counselling support to families affected by addiction.
• Provide feedback and support to clients.
• Assists clients to live without depending on addictive substances and behaviour.
• Maintain all required documentation.
• Participate in frequent consultation and collaboration with other staff and weekly case consultation group.
• Provides reports to the program director as required.
• Participate in overseeing the day-to-day operation of the programs by ensuring that program guidelines and policies are adhered to and program standards are met.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE:
• Masters in Social Work or Counselling plus minimum 2 years recent relevant experience.
• Registration with appropriate professional body.
• CCAC or ICADC or willing to obtain within 3 months of start.
• Sound knowledge of addiction as per ASAM definition.
• Sound knowledge of drug classifications, most commonly prescribed psychotropic medications, most commonly co-occuring mental health diagnoses as per DSM
• Sound understanding of the process and stages of addictions recovery and levels of support required at each.
• If personal recovery is part of experience minimum 5 years required.
• Trauma informed and dual diagnosis competent
• Experience working in inpatient or outpatient addictions treatment
• Preference may be given to to candidate with additional certification e.g. CSAT, DBT, EMDR, SE, CBT
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary to be negotiated depending on education and experience.
Extended Health and Dental
3 weeks vacation to start
Attendance at Recovery Capital Conference and other training and professional development opportunities.
- December 1, 2018
Please submit resume with cover letter to the Director, Sue Donaldson, either by
email: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 250 294-6850