Position: Executive Director
City: Huntsville, Ontario
De Novo is a 40-bed, co-ed residential drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility located in Huntsville, Ontario run by and for the Unionized Building Trades in Ontario. De Novo has recently expanded and has a new facility in Huntsville but we have been around since 1992. Annually, we serve 250-300 clients and have an amazing track record of success. Client needs come first at De Novo. We need an Executive Director who will promote, foster and lead a dynamic organization focused on New Beginnings for the Unionized Building Trades in Ontario. 40 STAFF with direct line report.
WE ARE SEEKING AN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR WITH A BLEND OF ADMINISTRATIVE AND CLINICAL EXPERIENCE AND RESPONSIBILITY.
What You Will Do:
Lead – Hire, coach, and develop a team of dedicated managers and employees who provide consistently high standards of service and resident care.
Manage – Effectively manage all department operations, fiscal resources, and collective agreement requirements.
Engage – Build relationships and welcome feedback for goal achievement and continuous improvement from employees, residents, and families.
Comply – Consistently implement policies and procedures as required by the company, union and applicable legislative/regulatory organizations.
Achieve – Meet or exceed established targets for engagement, resident experience, internal/external audits.
Cultivate – Build strong relationships and a consistent brand among unions and their members, local community, vendors, industry and legislative regulators.
Community Engagement- Continue to have a strong working relationship with the Hospital and Hospital staff.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Note: These examples are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from this position if the work is similar or related or a logical assignment to the position. The duties of the job as outlined may be subject to later changes, as per direction by the Board of Directors.
Program Planning and Management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of De Novo Treatment Centre programs and services.
- Ensure programs and services offered by De Novo Treatment Centre contribute to the organization’s mission.
- Monitor the day to day delivery of the programs and services of De Novo Treatment Centre to maintain and/or improve quality of programming as measured through quality control programs.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects and initiatives.
- Oversee the accreditation of De Novo Treatment Centre. This occurs every four (4) years.
- Develop marketing and promoting of De Novo Treatment Centre services, programs and events, upon direction from the Executive Committee.
- Familiar and comfortable with the Minnesota model as De Novo is an abstinence based treatment Centre. De Novo also uses other modalities ie: Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) Dialectal Behaviour Therapy (DBT).
Operational Planning and Management
- Develop and implement the operational/business plan subject to the approval of the Board of Directors of De Novo Treatment Centre.
- Manage the day-to-day business of De Novo Treatment Centre and oversee the day to day operation.
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of clients, Board, stakeholders and donors.
- Write Policies and Procedures with staff input for client policies and staff policies.
- Write policies and procedures, implementing the organizational policies; review existing policies annually and inform the Board of any changes.
- Ensure the confidentiality of employee, client, donor and volunteer files
- Ensure the health and welfare of all clients/staff (direct and indirect) at all times.
- Ensure that employee training requirements are met and up-to-date.
- Ensure that health and safety requirements are met according to occupational health and safety standards.
- Serve as the most senior leader of the organization.
- Assist the Board in developing a strategic plan.
- Maintain an appropriate level of confidentiality.
- Prepare quarterly reports to the Board, identifying, assessing, and informing the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect De Novo Treatment Centre.
- Inform the Chair/Vice Chair monthly with an update, written, phone or physical meeting.
- Foster effective team work between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and employees.
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate.
- Represent De Novo Treatment Centre at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile.
- Lead, supervise and facilitate groups, and conduct one on one’s with clients where required.
- Prepare and present presentations on behalf of Denovo
- Prepare presentations for the Board of Directors when requested.
Human Resources Planning and Management
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery.
- Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices including development of job descriptions for all employees, including volunteer code of conduct.
- Coach and mentor employees as appropriate to improve performance.
- Recruit, interview and select employees that have the right technical and personal attributes to help further De Novo Treatment Centre.
- Manage employee’s performance, when necessary, using appropriate action according to the Collective Agreement and Labour Laws.
- Ensure performance reviews are completed in a timely fashion.
Financial Planning and Management
- Prepare balanced budgets, operating and capital both yearly and long-term, for the Board’s approval.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board.
- Manage the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization. Present quarterly financial statements (with JJ McAteer) to the Executive Committee/ Board of Directors.
- Participate with the Executive Committee/Board of Directors in fundraising activities as directed.
- Establish good working relationships with all stakeholders to help achieve De Novo Treatment Centre Goals.
- Responsible for media relations, subject to Executive Committee/Board of Directors approval
The Executive Director, in conjunction with the Executive Committee, is responsible for;
- Identifying and evaluating the risks to De Novo Treatment Centre people (clients, employees, management, and volunteers) property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks.
- Ensuring that adequate insurance coverage is in place to protect the centre, client’s employees, volunteers, and directors of the Board. (In collaboration with JJ McAteer).
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Preferably a university degree in a related area and a minimum of five years direct rehabilitation management experience
- Progressive management experience with nonprofit organizations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to nonprofit / charitable organizations
- Knowledge of relevant legislation applicable to non-profit organizations
- Knowledge of human resource, financial and project management
- Proficiency in the use of computers for word processing, financial management, e-mail, and internet.
Performance Evaluation –The Executive Director’s performance will be evaluated as required by the Chair/Vice Chair/Executive Committee/Board of Directors, with a bi- annual performance evaluation